Skip to main content

48V LiFePO4 Battery Repair, AKA: Something goes right for once this month

Amidst countless failures this month, most of which to do with my VW Golf, and will be saved for another post, I was successful at recommissioning my 48V bike battery.  And I'm pretty psyched about that, since a new one would have been well over $500 shipped.  Let's have a look at the story.

I disassembled my battery management system and soldered a wire tap onto the B1 terminal.  The theory was that if I could work on getting just the one cell up to voltage close to where the others sat, the battery pack would start operating "normally" again (instead of cutting out the moment I tried to use it, even right off charger).  I brought to "work" where there is a nice voltage AND current regulated, bench-top power supply.  The solution plan was simple: measure the current open circuit voltage of the rest of the cells, average it, set the power supply V to that, hook it between B- and B1 (the bad cell), and wait.



I soldered a wire to the second-from-right-most terminal, which is B1.
The cell started charging at about 1.5A, immediately, and slowly leveled off .  The pack voltage is seen on the left multimeter.
The cell started at 2.8V, with the power supply set to 3.6V (the nominal open circuit voltage on the other cells).  The current draw started around 1.5 amps, then slowly leveled off to 1 amp, and after about 5 hours it was down to .5 amps.  The open circuit voltage ended up around 3.2V before I ran out of time.

I then left it on charge via the bulk charger w/ BMS over night, with the hopes that the BMS would finally do the rest of the balancing.  I honestly have my doubts that it does any real balancing, however, and I really should consider a better BMS.

Anyway, long story short, I took the bike out and it ran beautifully!  The voltage barely sagged - even when riding uphill.  Under full load, it was down to around 45 volts.  My sense is that there is still a "runt cell", and I am going to invest in a nice power supply so I can maintain battery packs without having to use the one at work.  

Suffice to say that this mission was a success, and chalk up one win in a long list of losses, for the month of March.  Hopefully next month will be a little kinder.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Timbaland rips off a Demoscene artist

I knew this day would come. The new Timbaland/Nelly Furtado song "Do It" uses a song made in 2000 by Finnish demoscene artist "Tempest" (Janne Suni). It's a 4 channel .mod (the ripoff is from a playback using the C64 SID soundchip). The song was hosted on scene.org's servers (the main repository for all everyones demos and tracked music, etc.). As you might expect, no permission or royalties were paid to Tempest. Just to clarify, we're not talking about some kind of coincidence here. There is no question that this track was used to create the song "Do It". In an interview, Timbaland tries to downplay it, saying things like "he sampled it from a video game". (This track was not written for a video game- it was actually written for the 2000 demoscene music competition, in which it won 1st place). Regardless, he basically claims he has no legal obligations because it's just like all the other pop artists that sample other m

Reaper, Linux, and the Behringer X-Air - Complete Studio Solution, Part 1

Introduction and Rationale This is part one of a major effort to document my experiences with recreating my home studio, entirely using Linux.  Without getting into too many of the specifics, a few months ago I decided that I was unhappy with Windows' shenanigans - to the point that I was ready to make a serious attempt to leave it behind.  For most in this situation, the obvious choice is to switch to Mac OS.  With its proven track record, support, and options for multimedia production, it is naturally the first alternative to consider if your goal is to simply use something other than Windows. For me the choice was not so simple. I despise Mac OS and, in general, the goals and philosophies put forth by Apple in an effort to ostensibly provide users with an "easy" working environment.  It does not help that I have also failed to find any aspect of the Mac OS UI intuitive, but I realize that this is a subjective matter. With my IT background and user-control* favori

Windows 8 audio clicks and glitches narrowed down to Malwarebytes

Ever since I got my Windows 8 PC, I have been having serious problems with audio.  Basically all sound playback on my system experiences a brief  but frequent click, skip, glitch, stutter, whatever you prefer.  I can reproduce the issue on any sound card or firewire sound interface (devices tested include the onboard Conexant SmartAudio HD, my external Phonic Helix 12, and my Edirol FA-101).  All of them seem to have audio clicks, with the firewire interfaces' clicks seeming more harsh for whatever reason.