Skip to main content

DIY Snowshoes

Susannah was talking about snow-shoeing today, and I got the idea that it might be neat to try to make some.  From a pure practicality standpoint, at worst, it would be nice to have something to help the occasional trek out to the storage shed when the need arises.  At best, I might actually try doing some real snow shoeing (in a place where I won't be judged by some yuppie with their $300 designer L.L. Bean, carbon fiber jobbies).  I decided to use any of the million scrap pieces of wood in the garage.

I had an idea for a design in mind, but I did a quick search of the internets just to see what the current knowledge was.  I was able to find a single design in which someone did something close to what I had in mind (employing plywood).  Decided I would start with that same basic idea and see if I could make any improvements necessary.

The starting design was pretty good - took about 30 minutes to make (which was appropriate for my attention span). I then made two adjustments to the binding design, one was to move the rear set of holes 2 inches further back, to increase the longitudinal stability when taking a step.  The other was to add clips and a rubber band across the instep (front part of the boot) to fasten the rear binding to the boot.  This worked like a charm and made it a breeze to don and remove the snow shoes.  You just step in, and place the rubber band across the clips. Remove the rubber band and step out when you're done.

I took a quick trek around the house.  It took a few steps to get used to them, but soon enough they felt very natural. The shoes did sink into the snow about 5 inches, which I found to be acceptable.  Our yard has about 18-20" of snow cover depth, so walk-ability was definitely improved.   I found it was best to drag them a little when taking a step.  

Future improvements might include:
  • A toe cut out so that one can angle the foot (and body) when climbing hills
  • Cleats for the bottom, so they don't slide in packed snow (not really helpful or necessary in powder)
  • A coat of marine varnish, outdoor paint, or polyurethane to waterproof the wood


Popular posts from this blog

Timbaland rips off a Demoscene artist

I knew this day would come. The new Timbaland/Nelly Furtado song "Do It" uses a song made in 2000 by Finnish demoscene artist "Tempest" (Janne Suni). It's a 4 channel .mod (the ripoff is from a playback using the C64 SID soundchip). The song was hosted on's servers (the main repository for all everyones demos and tracked music, etc.). As you might expect, no permission or royalties were paid to Tempest. Just to clarify, we're not talking about some kind of coincidence here. There is no question that this track was used to create the song "Do It". In an interview, Timbaland tries to downplay it, saying things like "he sampled it from a video game". (This track was not written for a video game- it was actually written for the 2000 demoscene music competition, in which it won 1st place). Regardless, he basically claims he has no legal obligations because it's just like all the other pop artists that sample other m

Reaper, Linux, and the Behringer X-Air - Complete Studio Solution, Part 1

Introduction and Rationale This is part one of a major effort to document my experiences with recreating my home studio, entirely using Linux.  Without getting into too many of the specifics, a few months ago I decided that I was unhappy with Windows' shenanigans - to the point that I was ready to make a serious attempt to leave it behind.  For most in this situation, the obvious choice is to switch to Mac OS.  With its proven track record, support, and options for multimedia production, it is naturally the first alternative to consider if your goal is to simply use something other than Windows. For me the choice was not so simple. I despise Mac OS and, in general, the goals and philosophies put forth by Apple in an effort to ostensibly provide users with an "easy" working environment.  It does not help that I have also failed to find any aspect of the Mac OS UI intuitive, but I realize that this is a subjective matter. With my IT background and user-control* favori

Windows 8 audio clicks and glitches narrowed down to Malwarebytes

Ever since I got my Windows 8 PC, I have been having serious problems with audio.  Basically all sound playback on my system experiences a brief  but frequent click, skip, glitch, stutter, whatever you prefer.  I can reproduce the issue on any sound card or firewire sound interface (devices tested include the onboard Conexant SmartAudio HD, my external Phonic Helix 12, and my Edirol FA-101).  All of them seem to have audio clicks, with the firewire interfaces' clicks seeming more harsh for whatever reason.