|Power strip modified for dry-contact switching|
|Magnetic switch on the door|
- Heater can be left on in the morning
- If the door is open, the heater then runs open-loop and tries to heat the rest of the house
- The heater will run all day long, if it's set to even 1 degree above the "house" temp.
- This costs over $.25/hour
- It's also (more of) a fire hazard since the heater will potentially be running when no one is in the house
To do this I modified a power strip and replaced one of the outlets with a 20A solid-state relay. These relays are crazy - totally isolated and able to handle a lot of load. Since there aren't any moving parts, they don't wear out and you can switch them with very little current.
|Solid State Relay|